Hurricanes and other catastrophes damage homes and affect lives in communities across the United States every year. The resulting high levels of moisture are a health risk and can damage or destroy possessions. The EPA recommends that water-damaged areas be dried within 24-48 hours. DampRid Moisture Absorbers can help restore your home after suffering hurricane damage by removing excess moisture and preventing musty odors.
Cleanup After a Hurricane
Wear protective boots, gloves, and eyewear while handling storm debris and addressing moisture damage.
Cautiously address standing water
- Do not enter an area with standing water until you are sure the electricity is turned off.
- Wear rubber boots, safety gloves, and eye protection while addressing the issue.
- Keep children and pets from affected areas until your cleanup is complete.
- Extract water from indoor spaces with a wet/dry vacuum or sump pump, if necessary, or seek professional help for standing water removal.
Remove and dispose of items that cannot be dried or restored
- Remove items that have been wet for 48 hours or more and can’t be properly cleaned or dried including carpet and padding, rugs, drywall, insulation, ceiling tiles, upholstery, bedding, wallpaper, clothing, books and more.
- Consult local authorities on how, when and where to responsibly dispose of storm debris.
Remove excess moisture
- Do not leave wet boxes or piles; spread items out immediately to dry.
- Open doors and vents to allow proper circulation and air flow; use fans and space heaters to speed up drying. Position fans to blow outdoors to help prevent the spread of mold.
- Place DampRid Moisture Absorbers in all enclosed spaces like closets, bathrooms and laundry room, where air does not circulate. DampRid removes the trapped excess moisture that can cause mold, mildew and musty odors and does not require electricity.
- Use an electric dehumidifier for additional drying if it is safe to do so and power is available.
Clean/assess affected areas
- Thoroughly clean all hard surfaces with Mold Armor Mold Remover & Disinfectant. Mold Armor® Mold Remover & Disinfectant cleans, kills bacteria and viruses found in flood waters and inhibit the growth of mold. Visit moldarmor.com
- Use a wood moisture meter to determine the moisture level in your home’s framing—do not reseal it until the framing has dried out properly.
- Wash all clothing that came in contact with the flood waters.
How DampRid can help in cleanup after a hurricane
Hurricanes cause excess moisture before, during and after the storm. The excess moisture remains stagnant in closets, bathrooms, laundry rooms, basements and anywhere there is a lack of air circulation. The lack of air circulation is worse without electricity because the air conditioner is off and can’t dry out your home. DampRid Moisture Absorbers do not require electricity. DampRid is the natural way to attract and trap excess moisture to help prevent moisture damage and musty odors. A full line of DampRid products including refillable options can help address moisture in high-need situations such as water damage after a hurricane.
Use DampRid 4 LB Hi-Capacity or DampRid Mega Refillable Moisture Absorbers for large areas in your home. For faster results on the Mega, remove the white cover from the inside lid.
- Place DampRid hanging bags in all closets to remove moisture and avoid musty odors.
- Place DampRid Refillable Moisture Absorbers behind toilets and under sinks.
- Eliminate moisture in car interiors by closing the windows and sunroof and placing DampRid Lo Profile Moisture Absorber under the seat.
- Monitor your DampRid products for replacement or refill frequently; they will need to be replaced more often in the high-humidity conditions that result from a hurricane.
- Protect boats & RV’s by placing the DampRid 4 Lb Hi-Capacity inside during storage.
For more information, visit www.damprid.com